PDA

View Full Version : 7.050 Overall ratings poor guide to WR skill

Lex Logan
10-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Football Mogul 2009 v. 7.050 (also present in 2007):

When looking for good WR's, the overall ratings appear to be random, useless noise. Unlike the RB's where a 90+ Rushing rating may or may not be a good runner, the Receiving and Hands ratings do seem accurate; at least, a high Receiving always seems to go with a high average yards per reception. My Scouting is usually A+, so that isn't the issue.

One factor common to all players who can potentially be Kick or Punt Returners is that a good returner often has a higher overall rating than his other skills would indicate. But I've used Commissioner mode to check whether a WR has any return skills, and often they have none; that's not the whole explanation, nor do I think Blocking has much effect. Possibly Endurance does; I'm not clear what effect that is supposed to have on WR's. At any rate, I sometimes start a a WR with an Overall rating of 66 (but 90+ Receiving and Hands) ahead of one with a 90 overall but lower Receiving and Hands. Experimentation when I was playing FM2007 seemed to confirm the "66" played better, and as far as I can tell nothing has changed in 2009.

This is one of the main reasons I hate to use Auto-Sort -- I have to remember how I had my WR's arranged, since the computer mostly goes by the (meaningless) Overall ratings.