PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap issues and lack of profit

bblaney
07-24-2002, 12:34 AM
OK got a few things I think need to be addressed.

1) Salary Cap: does it ever change or just stay the same??????? I think it should increase like in does in the real NFL year after year, maybe 10% increase per year?????.

2) I don't understand how most teams can't make a profit, and if they do it's only 1 to 3 mil a year, unless you go to the super bowl. Now correct me if I'm wrong but the Packers and Cowboys always make money even if they have crappy seasons. I am doing my best in one teams sim to trade away all my decent players and get all the cash in the league, so far the most I amassed in 1 year is $72 million by trading away players, and I still had a good core to be a decent opponent year in and year out.

3) The draft has gotten better, but I have still drafted phenomenal players in the 3rd or 4th round that would be starters on most teams in the NFL immdeiately, especially LB and DE.

But doon't get me wrong the game is getting better overall, but it's also running slower on my comp, and I love the trade for Draft Pick option.

waltwa
07-24-2002, 12:50 PM
not that we have to believe anyone about profits but i don't think anyone views the nfl as a year to year profitable enterprise. what has happened is that many teams say they lose $ but of course when they go to sell the team that they bought for 80 mil and get offers of 560 mil we see that there is profit in the game. use profit as a way of measuring mogul points for the gm but not as a factor in running the team.

e.g. if the washington redskins lose 15 mil do they begin to sell off their assets - players? no daniel snyder goes to the bank and gets 50 mil and puts it into the teams finances. the game has to function around the salary cap not available cash on hand. therefore the salary cap must increase each year as it does in the nfl.

rblackburn
07-24-2002, 11:50 PM
I think your thinking of baseball when you speak of profit coming not from year to year profit but sales of teams. I just heard an interview with an NFL exec. I don't remember who, on the Dan Patrick show. He said that only one NFL team has lost money in any of the last five seasons, although he didn't say which team it was. Probably the Saints, they can't do anything right.

waltwa
07-25-2002, 02:51 PM
my point is that i don't think that nfl owners buy teams as a short term investment. i think there are better ways to invest your money in the short term. my point is that i think the salary cap is a better thing to fashion the game around than cash.

rblackburn
07-25-2002, 11:21 PM
I agree with you I think I just wanted to clarify something. Actually I honestly don't even remember making that post. It was my night off, and I was doing some imbibing. However, an integral part of the Salary Cap strategy requires cash, what I mean is giving bigger signing bonuses in lieu of salary. So you have to make cash, to give signing bonuses, to save salary cap room to sign players to win games to draw crowds to make cash.