PDA

View Full Version : Draft problems

21C
07-08-2002, 01:37 AM
I updated the names files with ones that I use for my Baseball Mogul league. They are a lot larger than the default ones - the last names one is about 300K in size. The only thing is that now all of the players in the draft have first and last names that start with either A or B ( like Andrew Bennett or Brian Botham ). I am guessing that the game only looks for data that matches the size of the original name files and doesn't make it to the end of my name files.

I have simmed up to the start of the 2012 season. I then checked the draft picks from the 2011 season and noticed a lot of players that are "no longer in the league". Here is the breakdown:

1st round - 9
2nd - 8
3rd - 8
4th - 2
5th - 7
6th - 3
7th - 8

I realize that this may only be a small sample ( I didn't check out the results of earlier drafts 1 year later ) but I thought that this appeared to be an inordinate number of busts. Especially when you consider that there were 25 busts in the first 3 rounds and 20 in the last 4 rounds.

As a means of comparison, these were the numbers of busts from the 2010 season's draft ( 2 years earlier )

1st - 7
2nd - 14
3rd - 11
4th - 12
5th - 10
6th - 9
7th - 15

There seems to be too many players that should either have not been drafted so high in the draft or not drafted at all. I did not check to see if there was any correlation between the teams involved and their level of scouting but even if this was due to lousy scouting then it should not have been as bad as it was. Even players like Brian Bosworth lasted a couple of seasons after they were declared as busts.

ryansiegrist
07-08-2002, 06:01 AM
I agree the draft needs a lot of work. Another big problem is the draft screen itself. A list of players drafted and order at the time of the draft is neccesary. Also a pick-by-pick draft would be nice instead of it going straight to your pick.