PDA

View Full Version : Biased Officials in Super Bowl

bwburke94
02-07-2008, 06:58 PM
I watched the game with my family and I was extremely annoyed with the officiating. Here's the things I noticed:

I. On the diving catch by Toomer on the sideline, I think it was during the second quarter, I saw THREE uncalled penalties on the Giants. The most obvious of things too.

1. Offensive PI on Toomer
2. 5yd facemask on Toomer
3. ILLEGAL FORMATION! The Giants had only 3 men within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage, not counting Eli.

II. The key play on the Giants' winning drive, the Tyree reception:

1. In my opinion, Eli Manning was down.
2. The ball hit the ground and Tyree did not have posession of the ball.
3. Holding on two Giant lineman: the center and the right tackle.

III. Plaxico Burress was not on the active roster! Under NFL rules, this results in automatic forfeiture of the game.

JayC
02-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Heh... I love that through the past few months everyone was claiming that the officials and the NFL were biased in favor of the Pats, wanting that magical "perfect season." The fact is that in every game there are enough non-calls that if you want to see them as intentional and let your own biases come into play, you can believe that's happening.

Most of these are things that happen all the time; some get called and some don't. I do agree that Toomer could have been called on that pass play, but those are the breaks.

The one I don't get is the claim that Burress wasn't on the active roster... how did that supposedly happen, when he played every game through the playoffs? Anyway, if it's true it's not a judgement call and would easily be proven, so where's the official protest from the Patriots?

For that matter it would have been big news before the game, and we all would have heard about... since the official rosters are released to the press.

Kinker
02-07-2008, 07:15 PM
I was rooting for the pats as much as anybody, but the refs were not biased.

HoustonGM
02-07-2008, 07:29 PM
I don't know much about football, but my dad was complaining during the game that the Giants were getting shafted on calls.

Like JayC said, every game has missed calls and bad calls. If you look for them, you'll find them. It doesn't mean that the refs are biased. I bet, if I knew football, I could review the game and find a bunch of calls that went in favor of the Patriots.

And I also don't get the Burress thing. That would be an obvious thing, and the Patriots would have protested, and like JayC said, how'd they get through the entire postseason like that?

Coach Owens
02-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Don't complain to me about ref bias! Watch Super Bowl XL again, then say the Patriots got cheated!

RickD
02-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Bias my foot....sour grapes by the losers is more like it. The Giants were not favored in this game and the miss media were already proclaiming the Pats the team of the Decade on par with the Steelers of the 70's. Secondly who in their right mind thinks the ref are going to interfere with a game intentionally!

Wassit3
02-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Bias my foot....sour grapes by the losers is more like it. The Giants were not favored in this game and the miss media were already proclaiming the Pats the team of the Decade on par with the Steelers of the 70's. Secondly who in their right mind thinks the ref are going to interfere with a game intentionally!

yeah this isn't the NBA!:)

beerchaser
02-07-2008, 09:02 PM
After Spygate, the Pats have no grounds for accusing others of cheating. I honestly thought NE would win right up until the end, but the fact is they couldn't make a play when they needed it most.

BM_MAN
02-07-2008, 09:43 PM
I watched the game with my family and I was extremely annoyed with the officiating. Here's the things I noticed:

I. On the diving catch by Toomer on the sideline, I think it was during the second quarter, I saw THREE uncalled penalties on the Giants. The most obvious of things too.

3. ILLEGAL FORMATION! The Giants had only 3 men within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage, not counting Eli.

III. Plaxico Burress was not on the active roster! Under NFL rules, this results in automatic forfeiture of the game.

The Umpires make Mistake,

Don't Worry I am Collingwood Supporter and we always get the rough side from the Umps

MeetDaMets
02-08-2008, 10:06 AM
a shining example of poor sportsmanship.

New England LOST

DEAL with it !

jtuma2008
02-08-2008, 11:11 AM
a shining example of poor sportsmanship.

New England LOST

DEAL with it !

How is that poor sportsmanship? If there were missed calls (and there almost always are) then so be it, that's a fact. Poor sportsmanship has nothing to do with pointing out stuff that happened in the game. I'm a Pats fan and god knows if I'd seen those missed calls (aside from the offensive PI from Toomer which I did see), especially the ones that affected the final outcome of the game, I'd be pissed too. Doesn't mean I haven't "dealt with them losing"

As for that Burress thing, I don't get that either. Doesn't make much sense, but w/e

boomboom
02-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Superbowl XL

CatKnight
02-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Yes. Poor sportsmanship. Whining is about all this amounts to.

I won't deal with the question of missed calls. I didn't see what you're talking about. Frankly, it doesn't matter. As others have said, referees miss calls, and I'm sure if we sat down and went through the season play by play we'd find plenty of calls that went FOR New England. Perhaps calls that would wreck your pretty looking 16-0 season.

In every city I've ever lived in (there are several), it seems like referees have it in for their team: Patriots, Browns where I am now, Red Sox, Indians, it comes out the same. I now take any claim of bad calls from anyone, especially media, with a really big grain of salt.

Have you ever reffed? Have you ever umpired? If not, you're not in a position to discuss bias.

As for the roster: Don't be ridiculous. The Giants aren't that stupid. They know the rules (as opposed to Bellichek). Do you really think they'd risk one of the biggest games in franchise history to try and pull one over on the refs?

Failing that, do you really think the NFL officials (I mean the Commissioner et.al.), who have every interest in having things run smoothly, wouldn't have caught it and stopped them?

Failing THAT, the Patriots didn't notice? The media didn't notice? The papers aren't howling about how the Pats were cheated? (Except maybe in Boston.)

Accept it. Your team lost fair and square. It happens. Life goes on.

RickD
02-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Yes. Poor sportsmanship. Whining is about all this amounts to.

I won't deal with the question of missed calls. I didn't see what you're talking about. Frankly, it doesn't matter. As others have said, referees miss calls, and I'm sure if we sat down and went through the season play by play we'd find plenty of calls that went FOR New England. Perhaps calls that would wreck your pretty looking 16-0 season.

In every city I've ever lived in (there are several), it seems like referees have it in for their team: Patriots, Browns where I am now, Red Sox, Indians, it comes out the same. I now take any claim of bad calls from anyone, especially media, with a really big grain of salt.

Have you ever reffed? Have you ever umpired? If not, you're not in a position to discuss bias.

As for the roster: Don't be ridiculous. The Giants aren't that stupid. They know the rules (as opposed to Bellichek). Do you really think they'd risk one of the biggest games in franchise history to try and pull one over on the refs?

Failing that, do you really think the NFL officials (I mean the Commissioner et.al.), who have every interest in having things run smoothly, wouldn't have caught it and stopped them?

Failing THAT, the Patriots didn't notice? The media didn't notice? The papers aren't howling about how the Pats were cheated? (Except maybe in Boston.)

Accept it. Your team lost fair and square. It happens. Life goes on.

Well Said.

beerchaser
02-08-2008, 09:13 PM
How is that poor sportsmanship? If there were missed calls (and there almost always are) then so be it, that's a fact. Poor sportsmanship has everything to do with pointing out stuff that happened in the game. I'm a Pats fan and god knows if I'd seen those missed calls (aside from the offensive PI from Toomer which I did see), especially the ones that affected the final outcome of the game, I'd be pissed too. Doesn't mean I haven't "dealt with them losing

Fixed that for ya, don't think you've fully "dealt" with that yet.

jtuma2008
02-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Fixed that for ya, don't think you've fully "dealt" with that yet.

Well, unless you are me (and last time I checked, you aren't), how would you know what I have and haven't "fully dealt with" yet? Trust me, my life is hectic enough where the last thing I need to be worrying about 1 week later is the fact that my hometown football team lost the biggest game of the season. Maybe a day after I'm still thinking about it but 1 week? Not likely.

All I was trying to state was I don't see where the problem is. Mostly I'm just confused by how the OP stating (his opinion) that he was annoyed with the officiating and backing that up with examples is bad "sportsmanship."

captkirk685
02-08-2008, 11:38 PM

The ball never hit the ground what are you talking about, and Eli wasn't even close to being down. You must be a Pats fan.

beerchaser
02-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Well, unless you are me (and last time I checked, you aren't), how would you know what I have and haven't "fully dealt with" yet? Trust me, my life is hectic enough where the last thing I need to be worrying about 1 week later is the fact that my hometown football team lost the biggest game of the season. Maybe a day after I'm still thinking about it but 1 week? Not likely.

All I was trying to state was I don't see where the problem is. Mostly I'm just confused by how the OP stating (his opinion) that he was annoyed with the officiating and backing that up with examples is bad "sportsmanship."

There are "examples" of "bad officiating" in every NFL game. It has been said that holding could be called on every single play that occurs in every single NFL game that is played. **** happens. Deal with it. Don't whine about it. And don't give me a bunch of **** that says, "I'm right to whine about this." I really don't care.

jtuma2008
02-09-2008, 01:28 AM
There are "examples" of "bad officiating" in every NFL game. It has been said that holding could be called on every single play that occurs in every single NFL game that is played. **** happens. Deal with it. Don't whine about it. And don't give me a bunch of **** that says, "I'm right to whine about this." I really don't care.

You didn't even answer my question first of all and second of all where am I whining about anything? All I've stated that is in any way related to the outcome itself is that had I seen what the OP saw (more notably the plays that affected the outcome and were indeed missed calls), I would be pissed too. That's it, end of story. You were the one who started dragging this off-topic and into the realm of "you clearly haven't dealt with it". If you don't care about it, don't bring it up. I am merely responding to you because you seem to have the wrong impression about where I stand with the game. The rest of my conversation has been about the sportsmanship issue which you blatantly ignored.

HoustonGM
02-09-2008, 03:29 AM
The ball never hit the ground what are you talking about, and Eli wasn't even close to being down. You must be a Pats fan.
Ya think?

beerchaser
02-09-2008, 08:31 AM
If you don't care about it, don't bring it up.

Okay, works for me dude. I'll not say any more about it. :rolleyes:

MeetDaMets
02-09-2008, 10:54 AM

simple,
"fabricating" evidence to support a falsehood
is not an opinion.

*how bout the 12th man on the field ? hmm ?
*or the PI in the endzone that lead to 1st TD ?

*what was Mr Bill thinking about going for it on 4th down ?
*oh and what of all those potential turnovers that they let slip thru their fingers ?
*and all the sacks/knockdowns hurries ?
*did the NE starting OL hire impersonators ?:p

NE got outplayed. period.

maybe if they showed up, and hadnt assumed the win.
but its no matter, THE GIANTS ARE THE CHAMPS !

enjoy the offseason :p

SirKodiak
02-09-2008, 12:20 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_World_Series#Game_6

Now that is a blown call...

jtuma2008
02-09-2008, 01:22 PM
simple,
"fabricating" evidence to support a falsehood
is not an opinion.

*how bout the 12th man on the field ? hmm ?
*or the PI in the endzone that lead to 1st TD ?

*oh and what of all those potential turnovers that they let slip thru their fingers ?
*and all the sacks/knockdowns hurries ?
*did the NE starting OL hire impersonators ?:p

NE got outplayed. period.

maybe if they showed up, and hadnt assumed the win.
but its no matter, THE GIANTS ARE THE CHAMPS !

enjoy the offseason :p

Can you prove that he's fabricating evidence? I didn't say the OP was right. All I said was that he had an opinion based on something he saw during the game so I didn't see how that was bad sportsmanship.

NE got outplayed, yes, but for you to assume that they just showed up and assumed they were going to win, I don't think that's for you to say since you're not one of the people in that locker room. It's not like they blew the Giants out Week 17 and were super-confident they'd do it again. That game was very close and they're professionals so if I had to guess, they'd prepared just as hard, if not harder, for the SB.

I'm also not quite sure what you're trying to prove with the 12th man on the field and the PI call but I guess that's something entirely different.

MeetDaMets
02-09-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm also not quite sure what you're trying to prove with the 12th man on the field and the PI call but I guess that's something entirely different.

that key penalties were called on the giants.
reinforcing a lack of bias ?

too obvious ?

in any event its my opinion that its poor sportsmanship.
i believe i have that right as much as the op :)

JayC
02-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Clearly, biased NFL officials using some kind of mind control ray (I've heard the machine was hidden under the hood of the instant-replay monitor on the sidelines) planted that idea in his head.

Arctic Blast
02-10-2008, 12:31 AM
jtuma2008 : Actually, a lot of Giants players and a lot of field officials have mentioned overhearing the Patriots saying some pretty cocky garbage, such as inviting the Giants to the Pats postgame victory party DURING the game, even when they were trailing. That certainly smacks of a team that had decided that it was entitled to win.

Parabraves
02-10-2008, 03:23 AM
Aside from the WC matchups I might have missed 5 minutes of any of the games, and the Superbowl officials were the class of the bunch. Don't bring that junk in here.

BTW, Plaxico was listed as questionable before the game. This doesn't mean he was inactive or unavailable, LMFAO.

That post had to have been in jest.

Pilsnerquest
02-10-2008, 08:00 AM
You have to forgive us N.E. Pats fans for getting a little ahead of ourselves. The Plunkett, Grogan, Eason years had left us battered and, well, we can't let go now that we've had a taste of the good life.

I'd have to say for myself after the whole spygate fiasco and then Wilfork's cheap shot on Bills QB Losman in week 3 I wondered what was going on with this team. The Giants winning the Bowl is fine, my only hitch is with Eli Manning and his college draft BS about telling the Chargers (1st pick) that he wouldn't play for them if they drafted them, but...eh.

I think I'm ready for those Patriots lean years again, they were kinda fun actually.

Reade
02-10-2008, 09:30 AM
I hate Eli(and his brother) and I don't care to see Boston win another championship, but this was one of the best officiated SB I've seen in years. And since none of the Pats have been on sportscenter crying about it, they know what the both is, they simply got beat.

And Ive heard players say themselves that there are penalties on every play from holding to illegal contact to def lineman lined up in neutral zone, that don't get called.

MeetDaMets
02-10-2008, 12:26 PM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/09/cheaters-feel-cheated-patriots-fans-want-final-1-40-of-super-bo/

LOL

the petition itself is even funnier.

read some of the comments. :D
despite 12,000 sigs
most of them are the rest of the country mocking the petition(ers) itself.

http://www.petitiononline.com/XLIItrut/petition.html

take it like a man ;)

boomboom
02-10-2008, 12:29 PM
I hate Eli(and his brother) and I don't care to see Boston win another championship, but this was one of the best officiated SB I've seen in years. And since none of the Pats have been on sportscenter crying about it, they know what the both is, they simply got beat.

And Ive heard players say themselves that there are penalties on every play from holding to illegal contact to def lineman lined up in neutral zone, that don't get called.

Superbowl XL rally in Seattle, Mike Homgren said "I knew we had teh play the Steelers, I just didn't know we had to play the men in the striped shirts" or something to that extent.... :cool:

HoustonGM
02-10-2008, 03:40 PM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/09/cheaters-feel-cheated-patriots-fans-want-final-1-40-of-super-bo/

LOL

the petition itself is even funnier.

read some of the comments. :D
despite 12,000 sigs
most of them are the rest of the country mocking the petition(ers) itself.

http://www.petitiononline.com/XLIItrut/petition.html

take it like a man ;)
That's ridiculous. What a futile effort. Like the NFL is gonna say, "A bunch of fans think we should investigate this. Who cares that the Patriots themselves aren't calling for it. Let's look into this."

Man, I don't even know what to say. That's just hilarious.

etothep
02-10-2008, 03:48 PM
even if the officials did screw up the game, its not like it would be the first time it happened...in the super bowl...this decade...

see steelers V seahawks

Red Sox Fan 734
02-10-2008, 04:30 PM
^exactly what i was thinking^

CatKnight
02-10-2008, 04:39 PM
What a bunch of whiny babies. Completely ridiculous.

I despise the Yanks and don't think much of their fans when they come to Cleveland, but at least they show SOME class when they lose.

Tannhauser
02-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Until Boras ruins things . . . :P

MeetDaMets
02-11-2008, 05:56 PM
signature 16100. Steve Grogan

They should have put more time on the clock so Brady could have been sacked again, maybe he would have broken a leg then I could start my triumphant return

:eek: lmfao

signature 15958. Roger Goodell

Archie Manning is planning to come out of retirement to take his shot at kicking the Patriots butts, being as both his sons already have. Olivia Manning dropped a bombshell when she too announced her plans to enter the upcoming draft. When asked about the Pats she replied "those gutless runts" before spitting on the ground and walking away.

:eek: not quite going as planned patsfans LOL

RickD
02-12-2008, 11:06 AM
This is so funny. GUYS THE GAME IS OVER!!!!! Pats lost. Spring Training is starting! Let the Pats die in peace!

Rongar
02-12-2008, 08:59 PM
This is so funny. GUYS THE GAME IS OVER!!!!! Pats lost. Spring Training is starting! Let the Pats die in peace!

I second that - time to moan about cockeyed umpires, now!:D

Reade
02-12-2008, 09:50 PM
cockeyed umpires

And there's plenty of those to complain about

jtuma2008
02-13-2008, 03:41 PM
that key penalties were called on the giants.
reinforcing a lack of bias ?

too obvious ?

in any event its my opinion that its poor sportsmanship.
i believe i have that right as much as the op :)

No, those examples weren't too obvious, I just wasn't understanding the original point but now I get it, thanks for clearing that up.

And yes, you have as much right to your opinion as anybody else on this board, nobody's denying that :)

jtuma2008 : Actually, a lot of Giants players and a lot of field officials have mentioned overhearing the Patriots saying some pretty cocky garbage, such as inviting the Giants to the Pats postgame victory party DURING the game, even when they were trailing. That certainly smacks of a team that had decided that it was entitled to win.

While that's entirely possible and I don't doubt there are players on the Pats who would do that (as there are trash talkers on every team), I'd want to see exactly who made those claims before accepting it as fact. Because there are credible sources and there are people who will fabricate stories for the sake of further fueling a story. I also think it's one thing to believe that your team is entitled to win and another thing to deserve to win. And in some sense I believe every team thinks they are entitled to win. For the Giants, look how they turned their season around. After starting out so poorly and finishing so strong and knocking off tough competition, I'm sure they felt entitled to a SB win, which they should. To me, the Patriots had every reason to feel entitled to it because of the season they had. How often do you see seasons like they had (individually and teamwise)? Did they deserve to win though? No. They didn't play well at all and as a result, all they accomplished was for naught. Whether it happened during the game when the Pats were losing, again, I'd want to know who witnessed this and who could corroborate it before passing judgment.

Arctic Blast
02-13-2008, 07:24 PM
I really think that, in the past, Belichick was ably to convince his guys, regardless of their record, that they were the underdog, so they would fight for every yard. and it worked. This time, though, I got the impression that HE was starting to believe the BS that they were entitled to the victory (it's really the only way to explain their outright bizarre offensive gameplan), and it filtered down from him to the team.

CatKnight
02-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Okay NFLers, back in your caves! It's time for baseball!

RickD
02-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Baseball Baby!!!!!

MeetDaMets
02-14-2008, 05:40 AM
And yes, you have as much right to your opinion as anybody else on this board, nobody's denying that :)

k

While that's entirely possible and I don't doubt there are players on the Pats who would do that (as there are trash talkers on every team), I'd want to see exactly who made those claims before accepting it as fact....before passing judgment.

i feel that "hey come to my party" is pretty tame
in comparison to other things said while on the field. :D
Not anything to get upset about,
happens to highlight "hubris" however.

signed,
Bill Belichicarus

PS the fall from grace was easy, landing was the hard part ...

MeetDaMets
02-14-2008, 05:46 AM
id like to demand an investigation into the 2006 nlcs.
The cardinals cheated us out of a WS !

I demand it get replayed !
I also demand that people who purchased tickets,such as MYSELF,
to said nonexistent 2006 mets ws have the right to retain those tickets ;)

While were at it lets replay the 1919 ws.

ok !! whos with me ??? ;)

CatKnight
02-14-2008, 11:16 AM
I think we should override those cowards McGraw and Brush, and force the 1904 Giants and Americans to play a Series!

Anyone here have any experience as a necromancer?